Sunscreen Made Easy For Women Who Prance In The Sun
THE RUB ON SUNSCREEN LOTION
Sunscreen lotion has a tendency to rub me the wrong way. Like the time I used sunscreen made with hemp seed oil (I won't name names). Just imagine Casper the friendly ghost in a bikini.
That was me! It was anything but sexy. It literally rubbed on white and then wouldn't wash off. But thanks to all the amazing RUB FREE UPF/SPF fitness products below, you don't have to look like an idiot. You can protect yourself from the sun in style while exercising outdoors. Let's check out my favorite ways to do this, and don't forget to enter my Plus Size Sun Protection Giveaway at the very bottom of this post.
WORKOUT CLOTHES WITH SUNSCREEN BUILT IN:
- C9 by Champion is at the top of my list. Why? Because for the quality and amazing color options it's by far the best deal. AND it's available at my favorite store of all time--TARGET! Does anyone else get a mini orgasm walking into Target? Maybe it's just me. Anyway, what I like about C9's UV protection tops and pullover is that they're semi-fitted, moisture wicking, super light and dryer friendly. I have no idea how much sun protection they offer but I own all 3 and can tell you that they're easy to wear and wash. Also great for packing light. C9 Singlet Athletic Tank ($9.99), C9 Short-Sleeve Running Tee ($12.99), C9 Long-Sleeve Athletic Top ($19.99)
- Zensah activewear has a high UPF of 50, which means that only 1/50th of the UV radiation falling on the surface of the garment passes through it. UPF Stands for Ultraviolet Protection Factor which is the same thing as SPF but for clothing. Zensah Loose Fitting Racerback Tanks are stretchy and look awesome layered over their Seamless Sports Bras. The racerback runs long and fits longer torsos perfectly. I'm short and my purple Zensah tank rolls up a bit unless I tuck it into a boardshort. Since Zensah tanks leave a lot of skin exposed, I recommend using sunscreen spray on your arms. Overall, colors and design are very cute.
- 2XU from down under (Melbourne, Australia) might take over the athletic world with their intelligently designed performance apparel. Their sportswear is made to protect and soothe your skin and muscles. It's a simple formula that works for a range of fitness and training activities: Sun Protection + Compression + Odor Resistance. 2XU's Short Sleeve Compression Top with UPF50+ in black is my favorite. I wear it like a rashguard for water sports and for sunny days paddle boarding on the Hudson River NYC. Just be aware that 2XU fits your body snugly. I recommend checking out the size chart before ordering.
- Oscar Mimosa activewear by designer Sarah Harte uses lightweight Meryl Microfibre to protect you from UVA and UVB rays. It's designed for quick drying with a high-fashion sensibility. This feminine collection fits lean physiques best but if you like it tight, just squeeze on in!
- Mott 50 gets the thumbs up from The Skin Cancer Foundation as an accredited sun protective clothing. While it's not a high impact and moisture wicking sportswear collection, it's good enough for low impact workouts like pilates, yoga and walking. Mott 50 offers a UPF level of 50 in every garment and accessory. Their hats are a hit and often sold out. Check out women's basic tees HERE. I'd wear this Classic Legging and Rope Tie Zip Jacket to yoga class in a heart beat.
- SunGuard Sun Protection is a genius product. It's a laundry aid that literally washes sunscreen into your clothing during a wash cycle. At $1.99 it's the most affordable way to protect yourself from the sun and it lasts for up to 20 future washings. If you like your workout clothes, don't bother buying anything new. SunGuard guarantees a UPF of 30 and it's recommended by the Skin Cancer Foundation. Just make sure to do your laundry!
- Junonia caters to plus size (14 and up) active women. Their latest sun collection includes fun swimwear and outerwear pieces that all have UPF 50+. I'm a huge fan of the very surf-y Junonia Aquatard and Rashguard. For ladies who prefer turf over surf, Junonia's UV Protective Jackets are the perfect cover-up for chilly mornings, cool weather strolls, or protecting you from the sun and wind on the beach. The UV-Protective Stretch Nylon Pullover in pink (now on sale for $19.95) looks cute with a comfy tee, black leggings, a rugged baseball cap and sexy sunglasses for a morning power walk.
SPF THAT SPRAYS, POWDERS AND WIPES ON--OH MY!
- Hampton Suncare (SPRAY) - It's luxe & sporty. It actually comes in SPF 35! And oh yeah, it's made with an array of natural/organic ingredients listed HERE.
- Redken Color Extent Sun Solar Sunscreen SPF 12 (SPRAY) - It protects your hair from cuticle damage and color fading caused by those pesky UVA/UVB rays.
- Chantecaille Protection Naturelle SPF 46 (POWDER) - SPF and translucent face powder in one! Your dermotologist will be happy because this one provides full spectrum UVA/UVB protection. And how can you say no to Chantecaille. They are definitely one of my favorite makeup lines. Comes in Light and Bronze colors for $70.
- Tocca Wipes - The next best thing to Tan Towels! These are impressively high end and made with fancy ingredients like Marine Silk, Oat Extract, Grape Seed Oil, and Avocado Oil. FORTUNATELY HEMP SEED OIL WAS LEFT OUT! I really like the idea of these because they don't take up much space and come in handy for sunny emergencies. Scoop them up for 50% off and chuck them in your beach or gym bag.
WHERE MY PLUS SIZE LADIES AT?
This giveaway is for you! Enter the Plus Size Sun Protection Giveaway to win a Junonia UV Protective Jacket. I have a size 1x UV Protective Stretch Nylon Zip Jacket in pink and a 4x UV Protective Stretch Nylon Pullover in blue. To get picked you need to tell me your worst sunburn story EVER! I have one too and it's pretty disgusting in a Freddy Kruger skin bubbling kind of way. But grossness aside, I think we've all learned a lesson from getting sun scorched at least once. So bust out your stories and don't forget to tell me which jacket you want (the 1x or 4x). 2 winners will be picked on August 23rd, 2011. UPDATE: No one ever entered this giveaway, so I'm extending the giveaway deadline until I find 2 takers for the sunscreen jackets. Don't be shy!