It's Easy Being Green In Workout Clothes. The Frog Is Wrong.
GREEN TIMES UPON US
America's favorite frog once said, "It ain't easy being green." If only poor Kermit could see how times have changed. When it comes to eco-friendly fitness apparel and accessories, there are so many options and different styles to choose from. Going green for fitness couldn’t be easier.
When Well To Do, a planet-friendly-promoting lifestyle blog, asked me to share my top eco-fitness-couture picks with their readers, I was thrilled and began my hunt for the greenest of green fitness trends. Check out my favorites below and consider jumping on the green bandwagon. I mean, why the heck not? It's not like you have to compromise on style. Plus, these apparel and accessory items don't cost that much more (and in some cases even less) than non-green items. It's good to be conscientious. We do it with the food we put in our bodies. Why not do it with the clothes we put on our backs? At the very least, do it for Kermy. Do that scrawny frog proud.
GREENIFY YOUR GYM GETUP
- Begin the greenification process by choosing a Kalyx Sports Bra. My favorite style is made for yoga but that doesn't matter; I'd rock this sports bra for any kind of fitness activity. It has a racer-back which is great for support and free motion. I'm loving this bra for its sexy low cut and built-in cups. A little "shaping" and "enhancing" can't do a girl wrong. And you'll be happy to know that it's made from at least 35% recycled fibers.
- Now that you've got good cleavage, time to add an edgy fitness top. I adore this Adidas Sleek Logo Tank for it's curve-hugging feminine fit and asymmetrical zipper detail which you can self-style open or closed. It's made with organic cotton and a glossy Trefoil print.
- Put on some pants! I guarantee you won't find a softer pair than Green Apple Active's Fitted Yoga Flare Pant. I discovered this brand at a fitness convention and I have to admit that I bought two pairs of them: 1 for workout and 1 for pajama-loungin'. Made with a lightweight bamboo support jersey, they're seriously silky and super flattering against your skin.
- Get rollin' but don't forget to cover up with this NYC cult favorite, the Roli Hoodie, from C.Marchuska. It's made of a sustainable blend of 92% bamboo viscose and 8% spandex.
- Never last and never least, your feet deserve some green love too. The Evo Running Shoe by Terra Plana is the way to go. It's a stylish minimalist shoe with an ultra thin puncture resistant sole that offers maximum sensory feedback and maximum protection. Why do you need that? Because most likely you have bad running form or underdeveloped foot muscles from wearing over-cushioned and restricting sport shoes your entire life. The Evo is 100% vegan and made from recycled materials.
- Your gear should be as fashionable as your outfit. 2 staples that I recommend for shaping up are the Zobha Manduka EkoLite Yoga Mat and the Mini-Core Ball by Natural Fitness. They're amazing because they're both travel-friendly and made for core strengthening/balancing exercises. The Zobha Manduka Mat is made of natural tree rubber while the Mini-Core Ball is made from non-toxic, phthalate free material.
- Pack it up in the Everything Fits Bag by Gaiam, made from 100% recycled polyester. This gym bag is a gem because is has a vented outside compartment to hold stinky shoes and sweaty items that you might not want to mix with your valuables. Plus, there's plenty of room inside for a Yogitoes Sweatless Towel, an outer pocket for an eco-chic filtered water Bobble, and even bottom adjustable straps to hold your yoga mat (like the one mentioned above). Now, isn't that convenient? Why yes it is. See...being green is a cinch!
Being green is easy. Styling Up 2 Shape Up is fun and healthy. Keep an eye on the brands below for eco-fitness-couture at your fingertips.
- Green Apple Active
- Terra Plana
- Natural Fitness
GREEN GIVEAWAY: WIN A BOBBLE!!!
Give me 1 good reason in the comments section below for why your life is incomplete without a Bobble Filtered Water Bottle (eco-fabulously designed by Karim Rashid) and you're in the running to win it. By leaving a comment that specifically refers to your current water bottle situation (troubles, complaints, etc), you'll be automatically entered for this Green Giveaway which ends on Valentines Day (Feb 14th, 2010). There's a special surprise associated with this giveaway too, so be sure to write something good below as I will be picking my favorite comment.