How to Stylishly Prep for an Amazing Race (from 5K to Marathon)
Why I made this race tips video
I made the video you see above the night before my half marathon on March 14th, 2012 and posted it to YouTube. If you've never been to my channel--Fashionably Fit with MizzFIT--please mosey on over and subscribe! I made this video to encourage you to take the time to Style Up 2 Shape Up because when you do, you have way more fun. I promise.
The morning of the race, the paparazzi just wouldn't stop following me (wink wink)
But I didn't mind since I loved what I was wearing and felt stronger and more prepared than ever to run an amazing race. The start line was in Central Park with a finish in downtown Manhattan's South Street Seaport.
In my video, I talk a lot. Here's the quickie version of what I wore and why:
- Lorna Jane Sky Singlet & Run Short - Both pieces are comfortable, non-chafing, quick drying and stylish. I especially love the sheerness and silvery fabric of the Sky Singlet.
- Nike Compression Sports Bra - A great choice for small chest sizes (A-C) and since mine is invisible I added padded inserts. A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do...y'know?
- Nike LunarEclipse+ 2 Running Shoes - It has mid-level cushioning, it's made for long distance running and I love the design. In my vid, I admit to only having a week's worth of wear out of these those. I definitely recommend wearing your new sneaks for 2-weeks before running a long race. But in my case, it was a risk I was willing to take.
- American Apparel Long Leg Warmers - They're fun and they kept my legs warm without the need for full coverage. I had planned on removing them 20 minutes into my run but I ended up needing them because it was cold near the Hudson River.
- Asics Media Armband - It holds everything I need including my iPhone, ID, keys and random things I decide I need at the last minute. My specific armband doesn't seem to be available any longer but that's OK because it's not very stylish. Find the new designs HERE or check out other brands.
- Yurbuds Earphones - These are the best working and best feeling sport earphones I've found. I have the basic Inspire style but all Yurbuds are sweat proof and durable.
I mention even more good stuff in my video but you're going to have to WATCH IT to get it. Got 21 minutes to spare?
Test out apparel and gear before race day
This is just common sense. Uncomfortable surprises really suck especially when you have 10 miles to go! One time in band camp...I wore a horribly uncomfortable pair of workout panties and let's just say I couldn't wait to get home. I burned them...that's all you need to know.
No matter what you wear, make sure to get as much sleep as you can the 3 nights before your race. You probably won't sleep much the night before but that's normal. Adrenaline will keep you going just expect to crash hard once your head hits your pillow.
Don't forget to check out Lorna Jane! (lornajane.com)
After running the most comfortable race of my life, I'll be singing Lorna Jane's praises for a while. Lorna Jane is actually a real person and an admirable fitness entrepreneur. Plus she's an Aussie and I like the way they talk.
I really hope what you've read here will help you prepare for your next race. Please comment with questions or share your favorite gear. You know I always love hearing what you have to say!