8 Feb 2013
Have you heard of the KISS principle?
It's an acronym for Keep It Simple, Stupid. It's the idea that systems and practices work best if they are kept simple rather than made complex. I learned about KISS in my 2nd grade writing class and have since applied this rule to everything in life, even my health. This article is about living healthy & happy without complexity because health made simple is pure bliss. And you can't have enough bliss, right? Don't forget to enter my Vitamelts Sleep Giveaway in the comments section at the very end of this article.
The less steps, the BETTER!
Nature Made's Vitamelts (which I've been singing praises over HERE and HERE) exemplify KISS because they're so easy to take they're a no-brainer. You don't need water. They taste sweet and dissolve in seconds. They fit in your purse. The packaging is small and they're easy to travel with no matter where you're going. Now that's "Keep It Simple Stupid" in full effect, which is why I take them everyday.
For years, I've had problems getting enough sleep
I can't shut down the computer, the iPhone or my brain. It's something I've been working on and have written about HERE as a self-confessed insomniac. The good news, is that I've gotten better about my sleeping habits and already I'm getting between 6-7 hours of sleep a night. I'm learning how to wind down and RELAX in order to experience a better quality of sleep so that when I wake up, I feel refreshed.
Taking Vitamelts Relax (L-Theanine) and Sleep (Melatonin) together, right as I get into bed, has helped me achieve amazing rest at night. I can't tell you how happy this makes my mom because this is her #1 complaint about me! She knows I take after my father as a night owl, and for years she's been on my case about this. What a relief to finally have her off my back! Hear that, mom?!! I'm a changed woman!
I totally copied a scientist. That's how I keep it simple, stupid.
I wish I had been smart enough to think of combining Vitamelts Relax & Sleep as a nighttime supplement. But that's not the case--I copied a scientist's behavior. When I visited Nature Made's packaging factory in California (yes, that's a pic of me in a hair net from my trip), I heard Jones Chan (Nature Made's Director of Research & Development) saying he combined these 2 Vitamelts at night and loved the results. I've gotta say, I couldn't be happier with how they've improved my sleep health. I recommend copying scientists as much as possible!
I'm not a scientist but here are 10 of my favorite KISS Health Tips:
- Motivate to workout and feel good about your body by styling up in cute/body-flattering workout clothes.
- But your favorite veggies at the grocery store and chop them up in easy snack size portions and store in tupperware in fridge. When you get hungry, they'll be just as easy to reach for as a candy bar. I do this with carrot sticks, broccoli, celery and cauliflower.
- When you wake up in the morning, drink a big glass of water with a squeeze of fresh lemon.
- Learn how to portion control instead of counting calories (which is exhausting). Fitlosophy makes a great Digital Food Scale that includes an amazing portion control guide that I peek at every day.
- Always wash your face before you go to bed whether you wear makeup or not. If you have dry skin like me, stay away from super foamy cleansers. Kiehls makes a great one for sensitive skin and I love Peter Thomas Roth's Anti-Aging Cleansing Gel too.
- Don't leave home in the cold, winter months without gloves and some kind of head covering. Your body looses warmth this way and you can get sick just by having them exposed even if you're covered up in the middle.
- Stick to your fitness routine by scheduling your workouts in advance for the coming week. I do this every Sunday night and it works like a charm. I never miss a workout as long as it's on my calendar.
- Build a fitness DVD library so that when you can't make it to the gym, you have no excuse not to workout.
- Trust your gut. If you have a bad feeling about something physically or mentally, it's important to address. We're naturally built with this kind of intuition.
- Every day, send a good vibe to someone you love and someone you don't love. Practicing warmth, kindness and an open heart will make you a healthier and happier person. It's also a great way to learn how to forgive and let go. Because dis-ease is known to cause disease. And you don't want that in your life.
MY VITAMELTS SLEEP GIVEAWAY!!! Seriously, So Simple To Enter.
Tell me your Keep It Simple, Stupid Health Tip in the comments section below to win a Vitamelts Sleep (chocolate mint flavor) by Nature Made. The winner with the most fascinating KISS Health Tip will be chosen on February 22nd, 2013. Good luck!
Brand Statement: Nature Made® VitaMelts™ are a new "one of a kind”, enjoyable way to take your vitamins because they melt in your mouth and taste great. Discover how new Nature Made® VitaMelts™ can transform your vitamin taking experience by making it enjoyable. Visit us at NatureMade.com/VitaMelts to learn more. Disclosure: Compensation was provided by Nature Made via Glam Media. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Nature Made.
Have a fitness product, service or concept that needs to be seen?
Request a media kit
Some products and/or service links shared in this blog post belong to my affiliate partners, which means I receive a very small commission for every sale. I only endorse brands I passionately believe in and/or use to amplify my fitness lifestyle or business.
Speak up! This is your place to engage in friendly, on-topic banter.