Recap of My Life, 2014 Year End
So this is a recap on the last 2 months of my life. I figured why not turn the lens around and show you what's going on in my life. I enjoy narrating through pictures so here goes...
1. I launched an incredible Mizzfit sock line with Pointe Studio because I love barre fitness like a crackhead. The response has been amazing and no one has thrown their sweaty socks at me yet. They're grippy on the bottom so if you don't do barre, you can also just wear them at home instead of scratching up your nice wood floors with heels. They make great stocking stuffers too.
2. I spoke at iHeart Radio's Lifestyle Health & Wellness Expo in Brooklyn, NY. I'll be at the next one in Harlem, too, on January 29th of 2015.
I was honored to speak alongside someone I quite admire: Miss Jenna Wolfe (health & fitness correspondent of the Today Show). I convinced her to meet with me and give me career advice so I will keep you filled in on how that goes.
My advice to you is to seek out women you admire and find out how they achieved their success. Your path might not be exactly the same but you'll learn from their stories.
3. I ate a healthy Thanksgiving feast with my family in St. Louis, Missouri. My father took this pic of me with my mother, abuelita, and lil sister. Those 2 furballs are my kids.
4. Speaking of my 91 year-old abuelita, which means tiny grandma in spanish, I made her dance with me while cooking in my Ann Chery / Hourglass Angel Waist Trainer. This waist trainer is the bomb. I wear it when I'm cooking or doing anything standing at home where I might forget to suck in my tummy and have better posture. I also work out with it at home. While I don't believe it will take inches off your sides on it's own, I do believe after repeated use that you'll be able to train yourself to pull your abs in instead of pooching out.
I'm still too embarassed to wear it out in public like to the gym because it pushes my boobs out so far that it looks like I'm begging for people to reach out and touch 'em. So I'm going to stick to at-home use for now :) And I'm confident enough in my love for Kim Kardashian to admit that she inspired me to try it.
5. My November "Style Up 2 Shape Up" Quarterly Box #MIZ05 shipped! Everyone got it right before Thanksgiving, phew! So far, the YOO tracker and the Gym Girl Apparel gloves have been the 2 favorite box items. We have a few left if you weren't able to nab one. Just leave a comment below and I will send you the special link.
6. As many of you know, Darren Wilson was NOT indicted in the shooting of Michael Brown in Ferguson, Missouri. Since I'm from St. Louis (15 minutes from Ferguson), I was extremely saddened by the fallout. I'm proud to identify as Latina and very outspoken on minority issues. I will continue fighting for better treatment of minorities by police and just in general. Good God, we're all one people! Anyway, here's a pic of me at Michael Brown's memorial located in the very spot he died.
7. I hosted a post-Thanksgiving fit event at Sweat St. Louis with another female entrepreneur who has become a good friend of mine. She's the founder of Christen Michel Skincare. I'm all about supporting women in business and whenever I team up with someone new, I always make a new friend. I'm so thankful for women who like to collaborate and succeed together. The highlight of the event was watching my mom box! Who knew she could throw a punch?! I underestimated her strenght and now I'M SCARED!
8. Child's pose isn't just a yoga thing--it's a ZEN thing! And whenever life throws stress our way, it's totally OK to fall into child's pose instead of losing your cool. That's what I did in the middle of Times Square with Lucy Activewear for a YouTube series they've created. Gotta say, I loved all the tourist attention I got during filming. Didn't know I could compete with the Naked Cowboy but then again he doesn't straddle the dirty New York street. Nope, leave that job to me!
9. I'm the type who cries when I get inspired by someone. I know, it's so girly. But that's me. Here's who made me cry over the holidays: Kayla Montgomery and her coach. She has Multiple Sclerosis and does something unimaginable for living with this disease. You have to watch it for yourself below:
10. Lastly, I decided to do something that I said I'd never do again. I told all of you that I had run my last long distance race when I crossed the finish line of the 2013 ING New York City Marathon. I've been struggling with a Peroneal tendon problem after a tragic fall in the 2012 More Magazine Half-Marathon. I went to Dr. Jordan Metzl (he's basically the BEST sports medicine doc in the biz) and he assured me I could run another race.
So I'm going back to the very race where I injured myself and I'm going to run the damn thing at my personal best time EVER. I always tell you to set goals and face your fears. I'd by a hypocrite if I didn't do the same. Plus, Kayla Montgomery inspired me!
So that's my life of late...and I've got one more thing to add. I need you to know how much I appreciate your time spent here on Mizzfit.com. 2015 will mark 6 years of this website going strong. I'd be nowhere without you. I know your lives are just as busy as mine so I want to thank you for the precious minutes you've spent reading and commenting here. If only these typed words could launch a hug at you...because that's what I want to do right now. I'm eternally grateful. Big kiss!