This article was co-written by fitness buds MizzFIT & Jo Anne Keck
Boot camp workouts are back and gaining momentum with fitness-oriented women across the country. We're talking torture here...the kind that robs you of an extra hour of sleep, gets you yelled at, pierces your ears with short, sharp whistle-blowing and makes you cry every time you hear the word "push-up". So what's the draw and why are women getting so into it? Find out below...
6 REASONS TO SELF-TORTURE WITH BOOT CAMP
- You'll get your workout out of the way and feel energized all day long. When you exercise first thing in the morning you don't have to exercise after work or at night! You can even go out and enjoy yourself, guilt-free! Imagine that! Plus your body will feel firm and toned. That's a nice confidence booster!
- You'll get a huge calorie burn that continues post-workout. I can't give you an exact number but many fitness magazines estimate up to 600 calories per boot camp session. It's a vigorous workout so you'll experience a greater post-workout metabolism increase compared to other workouts that are more tame. This is called exercise afterburn. It means you'll burn an additional 15 percent of the total calories expended during your boot camp workout. Woo hoo!
- You'll discover a whole new level of motivation (that's always been inside of you). Boot camps are intense and your coach will most likely push you to new limits, meaning you'll workout a lot harder than normal, motivate to do exercises you would never do on your own, and see better results. Let's be real, when else are you forcing yourself to do athletic drills that incorporate field sprinting, crab crawls, burpees, lunge jumps, plank holds, plyometric jumping and 2 minutes of straight sit-ups or push-ups? Probably never. But there's a chance you'll start doing it more often once you know that you can.
- Group exercise is rewarding (yes, even with strangers). Why? Because you'll never groan alone and the moral support from fellow bootcampers will get you through the toughest challenges. You'll cheer other bootcampers on as they reach their athletic goals which will inspire you to work harder to reach yours. The dynamic creates a positive and fulfilling experience. How can you have a bad day after that?
- You'll become more alert and disciplined - whistles are dangerously good that way! Morning boot camps increase your energy and give you a headstart on your day which in turn makes you more productive. You'll feel focused and goal-oriented. You'll develop a can-do approach to many situations in life and maybe even decide that giving up is never an option.
- You'll hang on to lean muscle mass. This is a big deal because lean muscle tends to dwindle once you hit 30, especially in women. Boot camps are known for intense multi-joint exercises mixed with cardiovascular training--a winning combo to help you maintain and increase lean muscle throughout your body. Expect creative drills that alternate between strength training exercises and require you to shuffle or run from one point to another. It's a fun way to target all your major muscle groups at once. Your clothes will feel less snug and your friends will comment on how svelte you look!
WHERE TO BOOT CAMP?
Most membership-based gyms offer early morning boot camp-style classes or month-long boot camp challenges. Meetup is a great resource for finding weekend boot camps in nearby parks or community centers. My personal favorite is LACEY STONE'S BOOTYCAMP, offered in NYC and LA as a semi-private 4-week long program. Bootycamp is focused on improving your overall fitness with a special emphasis on the booty. The booty is not to be undervalued. It's one of the first things people check out on the single's scene and definitely one of the last when you walk away. Celebrity trainer/fitness personality, Lacey Stone, created Bootycamp to fight saggy booty syndrome so that men and women can feel confident about their rump shaker. There's no excuse for covering it up when you can do something about it.
Bootycamp takes place outdoors in the Spring, Summer and Fall months twice a week at 6.30am. NYC sessions are held on Perry Street Pier in Hudson River Park with amazing views of the river and invigorating fresh air. You couldn't ask for a better outdoor setting which franky, beats the gym. Athletic drills combine cardio and strength training using your own body resistance, and I'm not going to lie--they're challenging. Lacey is personally invested in Bootycamp even though tv appearances and fitness reality shows have her crisscrossing the country. Her handpicked coaches are 5-star and if you have specific questions or would like to register, email her directly at email@example.com. The cost of Bootycamp may vary depending on the program but expect to pay somewhere between $300-350.
TORTURE-FRIENDLY BOOT CAMP FASHION
Oslo by Robic All Purpose Stopwatch (6 Pack) - $45
This gym bag fits EVERYTHING and has 2 secure water bottle pockets.
adidas Steel Waterbottle - $20
Sonic 2 Performance Pull-over from MPG - $60
Fila's Toning Resistance Pant - $55
Fleet Performance Tank from MPG - $44