Yup, you may have never noticed but I had frown lines, and you better believe I had them taken care of and continue to do so. I won’t play coy with you and pretend like I’m above it because my looks matter to me. I always want to look my best for my self-esteem and for all the Instagram pictures I take!
Just kidding! It’s not something I do for social media although I like looking good for my followers...who doesn’t? It comes from a desire to look as youthful as I feel.
I’ve always been an energetic, on-the-go type of person, even during my advertising days when I used to write and art direct TV commercials. That’s actually when my frown lines started to appear, around 29 years old. At the time, I was working very long hours. Sometimes until 4am! I was working for the best advertising agency in the world so there was no other option than giving 500%. I was definitely stressed and my work hours were aging me. Staring into a computer screen designing storyboards into the wee hours of the morning wasn’t doing my face any favors.
I remember going into a dressing room at Lululemon around this time and that’s when I saw them in the mirror: my 11 lines! Right smack in between my eyebrows, it’s like they were waving at me saying “Welcome to reality, you’re not getting any younger.” And, that’s when I knew something had to be done. I left the store without making a purchase…
It was definitely a pivotal time in my life because soon after I left my job in advertising, started my business and turned my life around. I had always been a health & fitness fanatic, but I was on a mission to fully commit to a fit lifestyle and empower other women. As I was making these changes, I was feeling all the benefits of living a more balanced and healthy life but also saw the physical effects my prior lifestyle had left on me.
I wanted my facial skin to be as taut and smooth as the physique I worked hard at, so I began getting treated with XEOMIN® (incobotulinumtoxinA) by my dermatologist. XEOMIN® is an FDA approved purified neurotoxin that’s in the same drug family as Botox and Dysport. It’s injected into the muscles between the eyebrows (glabellar lines) in adults. The way it works is that it blocks the release of chemicals that cause muscle contractions in this area.
XEOMIN® is amazing because it helps treat moderate to severe lines. Your frown lines become softened and it’s almost like they were never there The results last between 3-4 months, but individual results may vary. In my experience, I see results for 4 months and as long as I stay on top of treatments, my frown lines never make a huge comeback. Thank god!
Some of us are prone to frown lines simply from aging and some of us get it early onset from having very expressive faces. That would be me! I’ve always been highly expressive and have been known to squint a lot even though my contacts prescription is up to date. It’s just how my face wants to move, I guess.
So, my doctor told me I was a perfect candidate for XEOMIN® as I entered my 30’s, and I still use it. The process couldn’t be easier or faster. The pricks are in and out before you can even squirm (trust me, I hate needles more than you!). Afterwards, I had a little white spot in the area injected, but for me, it wasn't a big deal...I could go back to work and walk around in public without anyone noticing. I didn’t feel vanity-shamed, lol! But keep in mind, individual results may vary and some people may experience a temporary headache.
With much of my work and reports now focusing on health and beauty, I can confidently say that XEOMIN® is a great treatment to go along with my meticulous skincare regimen. Everyone’s face and skin are so different so if you’re in your 30’s (like me) or older, it’s time to know what makes yours unique and only use products that make you feel good. I can’t say it enough and I know you’ve heard it before but STOP sun tanning your face. It’s really not worth it. The sun will damage your skin and speed up the aging process.
To this day, people always tell me I look great for my age. I’m not sure if you’ve picked up on it but I’ve been avoiding telling you exactly how old I am…because I want all the hard work I do in terms of my skincare to do the talking. I’m proud of how I take care of my skin, and it’s probably the reason every friend of mine comes to me for skincare advice and recommendations.
As a blogger, vlogger, tv & digital host, print model and commercial actor, I need to look good. But nothing feels better than taking my makeup off at the end of the day and looking into the mirror and feeling good about what I see. With all that I do to take care of myself I don’t look tired, stressed or older than I feel. I just look like me.
And just in case you’re wondering, XEOMIN® isn’t just for us women. Men make exceptional candidates too. A good friend of mine just recently got treated and he looks fantastic. I couldn’t believe how well it softened his very deep set 11 lines. His results took about a week and half to set in, while mine usually take 48 hours. So just keep in mind that everyone has a different experience. Please see the safety information that follows for XEOMIN® as well.
This post was created in sponsored partnership with XEOMIN®. I was treated with XEOMIN® to share my experience, not including prior treatments. All of my writing here reflects my true feelings about this prescription treatment and why I think it’s a great choice for frown line treatment.
XEOMIN® IMPORTANT CONSUMER SAFETY INFORMATION
Indication & Usage
XEOMIN® (Zeo-min) is a prescription medicine that is injected into muscles and used to improve the look of moderate to severe frown lines between the eyebrows (glabellar lines) in adults for a short period of time (temporary).
XEOMIN® may cause serious side effects that can be life threatening. Call your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of these problems anytime (hours to week) after treatment with XEOMIN®:
- Problems with swallowing, speaking, or breathing. These problems can happen hours to weeks after an injection of XEOMIN® if the muscles that you use to breathe and swallow become weak after the injection. Death can happen as a complication if you have severe problems with swallowing or breathing after treatment with XEOMIN®.
- People with certain breathing problems may need to use muscles in their neck to help them breathe. These patients may be at greater risk for serious breathing problems with XEOMIN®.
- Swallowing problems may last for several months. People who cannot swallow well may need a feeding tube to receive food and water. If swallowing problems are severe, food or liquids may go into your lungs. People who already have swallowing or breathing problems before receiving XEOMIN® have the highest risk of getting these problems.
- Spread of toxin effects. In some cases, the effect of botulinum toxin may affect areas of the body away from the injection site and cause symptoms of a serious condition called botulism. The symptoms of botulism include: loss of strength and muscle weakness all over the body, double vision, blurred vision and drooping eyelids, hoarseness or change or loss of voice, trouble saying words clearly, loss of bladder control, trouble breathing, trouble swallowing.
These problems could make it unsafe for you to drive a car or do other dangerous activities.
Do not use XEOMIN if you are allergic to XEOMIN® or any of the ingredients in XEOMIN® (see the end of this Medication Guide for a list of ingredients in XEOMIN®), had an allergic reaction to any other botulinum toxin products such as rimabotulinumtoxinB (MYOBLOC®), onabotulinumtoxinA (BOTOX®, BOTOX® COSMETIC), or abobotulinumtoxinA (DYSPORT®) or have a skin infection at the planned injection site.
Ask a doctor before use if you
- have a disease that affects your muscles and nerves (such as amyotrophic lateral sclerosis [ALS or Lou Gehrig's disease], myasthenia gravis or Lambert-Eaton syndrome)
- have had any side effect from any other botulinum toxin in the past
- have a breathing problem such as asthma or emphysema
- have a history of swallowing problems or inhaling food or fluid into your lungs (aspiration)
- have bleeding problems
- have drooping eyelids
- have plans to have surgery
- have had surgery on your face
- are pregnant or plan to become pregnant. It is not known if XEOMIN® can harm your unborn baby.
- are breastfeeding or plan to breastfeed. It is not known if XEOMIN® passes into breast milk.
XEOMIN is not recommended for use in children younger than 18 years of age.
Tell your doctor about all of your medical conditions and all of the medicines you take, including prescription and over-the-counter medicines, vitamins and herbal supplements. Using XEOMIN® with certain other medicines may cause serious side effects. Do not start any new medicines until you have told your doctor that you have received XEOMIN in the past.
Especially tell your doctor if you
- have received any other botulinum toxin product in the last four months
- have received injections of botulinum toxin such as rimabotulinumtoxinB (MYOBLOC®), onabotulinumtoxinA (BOTOX®, BOTOX® COSMETIC) and abobotulinumtoxinA (DYSPORT®) in the past. Be sure your doctor knows exactly which product you received. The dose of XEOMIN® may be different from other botulinum toxin products that you have received.
- have recently received an antibiotic by injection
- take muscle relaxants
- take an allergy or cold medicine
- take a sleep medicine
- take a blood thinner medicine
Ask your doctor if you are not sure if your medicine is one that is listed above.
Possible Side Effects
XEOMIN can cause serious side effects that can be life threatening. See “Warnings.” Headache was the most common side effect of XEOMIN for treatment of glabellar lines. Other possible side effects include:
- dry mouth
- discomfort or pain at the injection site
- neck pain
- muscle weakness
- eye problems, including: double vision, blurred vision, drooping eyelids, swelling of your eyelids, and dry eyes. Reduced blinking can also occur. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have eye pain or irritation following treatment.
XEOMIN may cause other serious side effects including allergic reactions. Symptoms of an allergic reaction to XEOMIN® may include: itching, rash, redness, swelling, wheezing, asthma symptoms, or dizziness or feeling faint. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you get wheezing or asthma symptoms, or if you get dizzy or faint.
These are not all the possible side effects of XEOMIN®. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
- XEOMIN® is a shot (injection) that your doctor will give you.
- XEOMIN® is injected into your affected muscles.
- Your doctor may change your dose of XEOMIN® until you and your doctor find the best dose for you.
General information about the safe and effective use of XEOMIN
Medicines are sometimes prescribed for purposes other than those listed in a Medication Guide. Do not use XEOMIN for a condition for which it was not prescribed. Do not give XEOMIN to other people, even if they have the same symptoms that you have. It may harm them. You can ask your pharmacist or doctor for information about XEOMIN that is written for health professionals.
Read the Medication Guide before you start receiving XEOMIN® and each time XEOMIN® is given to you as there may be new information. The risk information provided here is not comprehensive. To learn more:
- Talk to your health care provider or pharmacist
- Visit www.xeominaesthetic.com to obtain the FDA-approved product labeling
- Call 1-866-862-1211
Active Ingredient: incobotulinumtoxinA
Inactive Ingredients: human albumin and sucrose
Copyright © 2015 Merz North America, Inc. All rights reserved. MERZ, the MERZ logo, and XEOMIN are registered trademarks of Merz Pharma GmbH & Co. KGaA. Botox®, Dysport® and Myobloc® are registered trademarks of their respective owners.