Last weekend I was a lucky girl, sitting front row at Mara Hoffman's fashion show during Swim Week in Miami. Gawking at all that swimwear made me want to jump in the pool and that's why this post is all about swim-action-fashion! Water is 12x more resistant than air, which means you'll work your muscles harder while submerged. It's a cooler way to sculpt than hitting the pavement for an unbearably sweaty run, especially during a heat wave like the one we're getting right now in NYC. Check out my latest swim trends & tips before you take a dip, and enter the Bikini Bottom Giveaway at the end of this post.
SWIM FASHION THAT MAKES A STATEMENT & STAYS ON:
- Go for a casual and comfortable 1-piece with a tribal art flair. This was my favorite design from Mara Hoffman's fashion show at Swim Week Miami. It's the perfect suit for paddle boarding, windsurfing or even taking an aqua arobics class. It's undeniably cute with no risk of wardrobe malfunction. Check Mara Hoffman's website to find out when/where you can buy it.
- A magnificent 1-piece like the one above doesn't need much more than a lightweight, loose-fitting boardshort. Call me Jersey Shore crazy, but I can't resist these Fakie Boardshorts by Roxy ($46) that look like demin cutoffs.
- Even with swimwear, shop with an outfit in mind. Remember, it's always easier to remove layers than to magically pull one out of thin air. I always like to have something extra like a rashguard just in case the waves get crazy or the water temperature drops. Pret-a-surf makes stylish surf & swimwear that's clearly made to layer and match. I love Pret's boardshort and the sporty yet sexy heigh-wasted zip-back bikini bottom shown below. So effortlessly cool.
- Hurley, one of my favorite sporty swim brands, is a godsend because their bikini tops tie securely in the back with extra support. Seriously, keep your girls strapped in. Unlike your boyfriend or girlfriend, I don't wanna see a rogue boob! A matching rashguard also does the trick as a cute control top. Check out the camo rashguard here.
- Like to make your own decisions? Combine the top and bottom of your choice for $97. Calavera Swimwear's website is amazing and lets you watch footage of each bikini in action. The collection is made to weather lots of tumble and splash so that the only thing you have to worry about is staying on your board.
- Paisley is in! I love my H2O friendly Hot Shorts from Heidi Hat ($74) paired with a solid bikini for poolside yoga.
Also check out Athleta's Off Shore Paisley Oceanside Short ($49). It has an internal brief which means you can ditch the bikini bottom. Due for wax? No problem...throw these on and no one will know!
- Reflect the sun's rays with something shimmery and fierce like BodyRock Sport's new swim collection. Made for triathlons, the The Stacy 1-Piece Triathlon Racing Suit ($115) has a 50's style booty cut to keep you wedgie-free. BodyRock's bikinis cater to toned physiques with a tops that doubles as a low-impact sports bra ($40), which you better believe I own in every color. Yup, it's the wonder bra of sport bras for girls with not much to brag about.
GET YOUR FEET WET WITHOUT TAKING YOUR SHOES OFF:
- Speedo Beach Runners ($25) will give you traction and a bit of support in the sand. These shoes actually feel good when they get wet!
- Y-3 Yohjilette 2 Slides ($50) are water-resistant and go wherever you like and wherever you don't want to slip.
HOW 2 TAME YOUR SWIM MANE:
- If you're swimming laps, you should opt for a swim cap. Have some fun with a zebra print cap ($12.99)! If you have long hair, try the Silicone Longhair cap ($9.99).
- Echo's Swim Headband ($32) looks like a fashionable turban-style headband. It's glamorous, made for spashing around and comes in several colors.
A WATER GADGET WORTH GETTING TECH-Y OVER:
- Listen to your workout playlist without having to keep dry. The Waterfi Waterproof iPod Shuffle ($159.95) is 100% waterproofed from the inside out and works just like a normal iPod Shuffle except you have the luxury of clipping it to the back of your swim goggles or clothing. Use it to jetski, kayak, windsurf or wakeboard. For underwater use, you'll need waterproof headphones. This is one of the few waterproof mp3 players that gets rave reviews online.
If you're going to buy it, you absolutely must upload Waterfalls by TLC. It would be a crime not to!
APRES SWIM FOR THE LITTLE MERMAID IN YOU:
- The Starfish Mesh Pool Float ($59.95) from Brookstone - because we all deserve to sail away on a star fish after a tough and tiring workout!
ENTER THE BIKINI BOTTOM GIVEAWAY!
- Leave a comment sharing your favorite style of active swimsuit and you'll be entered to win WunderTape's Instant Butt Lift for your bikini bottom. Check it out for yourself and make your own judgments. I'll pick a winner on Tuesday, August 2nd. You're welcome to re-gift the unused WunderTape if you like. Just don't send it back to me because my butt's already taped up!