I went on a gorgeous road trip in a 2015 Ford Escape with Tri-State Ford to celebrate the “Where To Now” sweepstakes. I made some amazing stops—this one was my favorite—and had a lot of time to think along the way. I kept thinking about how unexpected my life path has been. I’ve worked really hard to get where I am, but if you had asked me years ago whether I’d be in the driver’s seat of my own business and reporting on women’s health, I’d think you were nuts.
Life is unpredictable and you could end up anywhere. But that doesn’t mean you can’t look ahead a little and put your dreams into play.
If there’s one thing I know it’s that... adventure, opportunity, love and fulfillment don’t just come knockin’ at your door. You have to go out and find them. You essentially have to ask yourself what’s next in my life…what road will I take and where do I hope it will lead me? If you’re not asking yourself these questions, how are you ever going to get anywhere?
Don’t get me wrong; I’m not telling you to put together a 5-year plan. But, I do believe in lining up activities or events in your life that keep you moving forward. It’s what I’ve been doing for the last 7 years since founding Mizzfit.com.
If I had sat around waiting for things to happen in my life, I wouldn’t be able to tell you about the spectacular road trip I filmed with Tri-State Ford.
I’ve always been a restless person. What can I say? I like to move! I feel empowered checking boxes and I’m totally Type A when it comes to planning. When Tri-State Ford reached out to me for ideas of places I’d like to go, you better believe I sent them a long list!
Watching the sunrise in Fort Lee Historic Park was one of the most beautiful things I’ve done in my life. Every time I look at this picture, I relive it and want to go back!
Going on this road trip was a dream come true because where to now is a question I ask myself every day. I live for trying new things and seeing places I’ve never been before, and this road trip was full of that.
Like practicing yoga next to this huge cascading aqueduct.
Traveling with a film crew was also a first for me! It was so much fun. It blew my mind when a drone camera was used to capture my yoga moves. It was like a miniature helicopter flying around me! Can you spot it in the pic above?
The beauty of it all is that I got to get out of my “normal”, enjoy the thrill of taking fitness outdoors and just be ME…even with the cameras rolling.
I could tell you a million things like “you only have one life to live” (which you do) or “life is short” (which it is) but most of all, I want to drill this into your head:
Listen to the voice coming from your heart. The big, fantastic things you want to do in your life are possible. You just have to set your wheels in motion.
No matter where you are in life, it’s never too late. I changed my career at 30. Here’s a little advice…
- Write down your big dreams (on paper), and don’t be shy. The bigger the better!
- Whip out some scissors, pins and a corkboard, and begin working on your vision board. This is where your list of dreams will take on a more visual form.
- Start researching ways you can actively begin dream building, whether it’s through volunteering your time, signing up for a class or something else that brings you closer to the end goal.
- Reach out to someone who’s living your dream…offer to buy this person coffee or lunch and be a good listener.
- Travel! If you want to go places, you’ve got to physically go! Enough with reality TV (tuna fishing, mountain hiking, swamps and all that)! See the world with your own eyes. Go on a road trip! Even if that means discovering hidden gems along bordering states or in your own, like I did. The people you meet and the things you learn along the way (that you can’t and won’t learn online) will become the life experience you need to excel.
I used to go to fitness & health conventions to be surrounded by the wellness world. It’s a great way to meet people who are innovating, open to networking and looking to collaborate. I literally traveled the country making the rounds at these conventions and expos. It was how I got my start, and it was all because I asked myself where to now? and then just kept going.
So now that I’m back home in New York City... after an amazing time on the road, I can’t help but plan my next adventure. Does this look like fun?
I'll tell you all about how it went soon! Like I said, I never stop moving even if it means descending from 20 stories up!
What’s next for you this year? Where would a dream road trip take you? Make sure to enter the Tri-State Ford #WhereToNow Sweepstakes for your chance to win a 2-year lease on a Fusion, Escape or Explorer OR a weekend getaway.