It's not often you hear a 22-year-old so excited about fitness & health that she trips over her words when describing her workout routine. That's what makes Kat DeLuna, hip hop singer-songwriter, my new fitness crush. She's determined to live a healthy lifestyle and get fit for 2011 by taking personal inventory, not just counting calories.
Check out my interview below with Kat, who I'll be styling for Despierta America on Univision next week.
Singer Kat DeLuna On Keeping Fit - By MizzFIT/Bianca Jade for Fox News Latino | Published January 07, 2011
Dominican Singer/Songwriter/Dancer Kat DeLuna knows that Rome wasn’t built in a day, and neither is a tight body. At 22, the “Whine Up” star has a passionate approach to fitness that begins with taking personal inventory.
“First, you have to figure out what makes you uncomfortable about your body, then find an activity you love and make it your healthy obsession,” says DeLuna, who believes the fitness journey should be steady and rewarding.
Self-improvement is a tricky thing, leading women to obsess over perceived flaws. DeLuna avoids this pitfall by making feeling good about herself her priority, she says. It’s no wonder her next album, which will soon be released, is titled "Inside Out".
Her active lifestyle -- she goes to the gym every day -- brings her balance, energy and happiness, she says.
DeLuna hits the gym every morning at 5 a.m. If you follow her on Twitter, then you know she’s often the first one there, dressed to sweat in animal-print tights.
“2moro back 2 my exercise routine, wearing animal print tights like in this pic 3 days ago it, it was 5am!” she tweeted recently.
She’s a fitness fanatic who loves high-impact exercise like kickboxing and Cuerpaso, a fast-paced, 50-minute boot camp that fuses Latin dance with soccer movements. To call it a workout, she says, she has to sweat.
“I like to push myself…I do the cha cha on the treadmill to mix things up,” she says with a laugh.
For DeLuna, fitness is a personal journey, and confidence booster.
“Sexiness comes from how you feel inside,” she said. “Sometimes, I’ll roll up my shirt during a workout to show off my abs. No one’s around to see. I do it for myself and feel sexy.”
DeLuna, who describes herself as “petite with thighs,” says her spinning classes tame her Latin curves – though she has no interest in losing them.
When I ask DeLuna to share her fitness insights, I nearly forget I’m chatting with a pop diva. DeLuna speaks like a true fitness enthusiast, and I’ve got a hunch there’s a fitness DVD in her future.
In the meantime, DeLuna offers these tips for a healthy New Year:
• Workout with friends for extra motivation: Kat likes to train with her backup dancers and her personal trainer when she needs more of a push.
• Cut back on carbs and eat more veggies: Kat says her abs look best when she takes a break from rice and spaghetti.
• Take a power nap when you’re short on sleep: 15 minutes is plenty for DeLuna to doze off and re-energize, but she takes what she can get.
• Listen to music that makes you feel invincible: Even though she loves pop and hip-hop, DeLuna chooses to work out to classical music, which makes her feel like she can do anything. She’s a fan of German composer Carl Orff.
• Dress for success and most importantly for yourself: A great outfit can set the tone for an even greater performance, even at the gym. Kat likes to wear fitted dance apparel from Danskin & Capezio and wishes she owned a fitness tutu.
• Anything is possible when you’re passionate: Kat believes fitness is a lifestyle, not a chore. When you’re passionate about your routine, amazing results are inevitable. Don’t just pound away on exercise machines because everyone else is doing it. Personalize your workout and put your heart into it, she says.
While Kat's cha cha-ing to classical, I'm sweating to her pop hits...seriously! Her music--upbeat and energizing--is beyond perfect for your workout playlist. Sample/download my favorites here:
Whine Up (feat. Elephant Man) - Kat DeLuna