Serena Williams Wins US Open Match But Loses For Best Outfit
Serena Williams showed Bojana Jovanovski what winning looks like last night at the US Open. It was awesome. But Serena's Nike tennis dress--not so awesome. I love Nike just as much as the next girl, but the dress was underwhelming. Serena Williams is a sports fashion icon! The girl normally has style and pizazz. So what the heck? I wish Nike had designed something that expresses Serena's funky side more. Check out what I think Serena Williams should've worn for last night's match and be sure to enter my Tennis Couture Giveaway to win a new tennis outfit!
1st Things 1st, This Is What Nike Designed For Serena Williams:
If you want to see more and watch Nike's design inspiration video, CLICK HERE
Here's What Serena Should've Worn To The US OPEN:
Why I Think My Outfit Is Better
Serena's Nike dress made her look bulky and beyond that it was just blah. We've all seen something like it before. I put the outfit above together because Serena is a girly girl who loves accessories and sparkle. Let's start with the performance top and tennis skirt by LIJA. They're both body contouring and sweat wicking but a lot less sporty looking in a good way than the Nike dress. The LIJA skirt is designed with layers that are feminine and bouncy without creating poofiness. Serena has an amazing butt (in the realm of Kim Kardashian's) and this skirt would be a killer and very sexy way to show it off. I picked black because it's slimming and always does wonders on the hips. The BodyRock Sports bra in the mix is embellished with rhinestones and built to support larger chests like Serena's. It's a great "peek out" from under your tank top kind of bra. I picked the adidas tennis sneaks because the Nike ones she wore are just too classic and too white (white makes your feet look bigger). The adidas Barricade adilibria shoes match the LIJA pink top and I love the metal logo stripes on the side. Serena definitely loves bling but the chandelier shaped earrings she wore last night were way too dangly and inappropriate for tennis. Since Serena can definitely afford it, I picked out some Sapphire studs from Tiffany's which pop at any camera angle and will stay put while she plays. So will her hair with Sephora's metallic hairbands; pretty enough to wear on your wrist until you need one. Court Couture's python tennis tote is the cherry on top (it's actually animal free...hard to tell, right?). Python will be everywhere this Fall, so why not the US Open?
Serena's new outfit is chic, sexy and will give her a softer look, which I really think she needs.
I'm Not Dissing On Serena, I Swear!
I have no reason to diss Serena. She rocks. I'm just offering up a bit of styling advice. I attended an event she hosted at Niketown New York and she was truly amazing to see in person and hear talk about her career. At the event Serena coached kids from local tennis organizations to follow their passion in life, tennis and beyond. Surprisingly the focus was not on her mental game, but rather what makes her happy in life...like dancing. I knew Serena was girly but this event revealed her super cute side as she danced on stage and performed her best "cat daddy" moves. And just in case you're wondering, her favorite artist right now is Niki Minaj. How can I diss a REAL GIRL? Serena may look tough on the court but she's really a softy. I would love to see more of the real Serena come through in her performance wear choices, and I think Nike is totally capable of making that happen in the future. So I look forward to that!
My Favorite Tennis Shopping Sites (in no particular order)
- LIJAstyle.com - LIJA's layered skirts and dresses are uber femme fatale. Love the Fuse Up Dress.
- PureLime.com - This Scandinavian brand is known for their matching tops and bottoms. I like their cut-out tanks.
- Sequen.com - The leopard tennis balls are cute but I'm holding out for python!
- TennisGeeks.com - Best deals on random tennis pieces that will definitely ignite your wardrobe.
- Fila.com - This Baseline Dress blends the sweetness of ruffles with the sexiness of dangerously short.
- Lululemon.com - Their Run:Speed Skirt and Run:Take Flight Skirt are super flattering and versatile.
- Adidas - I love the tennis gear from the Stella McCartney for adidas line.
- Cinda b - The Tennis Totes and Raquet Sleeves come in a bunch of girly patterns in every color imaginable.
- Court Couture - I die for these luxe raquet bags!
- Moving Comfort - Their sports bras are the best as far as support and their Underwear is like butter.
MizzFIT's Tennis Couture Giveaway!
Share your thoughts on Serena's US Open dress as well as the outfit I put together for her and you'll be entered to win a tennis dress outfit to hit the courts in. Just leave a thoughtful comment...that's it! I'll randomly pick a winner on September 20th, 2011.
Here's what YOU could WIN!
- This Vata Brasil tennis dress in black/blue
- Soffe leopard print hot shorts to wear underneath
- A RumbaTime sweat resistant watch in light saber blue
- A package of WunderTape's Instant Butt Lift (just in case you need it)
- And last but not least, a cannister of Sequen leopard print tennis balls!
GOOD LUCK and as always, thanks for visiting/reading MizzFIT.com!